If we were being governed by the United States CONSTITUTION, the Democrats in the United States Congress would be in violation of Article VI, Clause 3. Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for people of faith, that clause has apparently "flooed the coop". It had been known in times past as "The Religious Test Clause" for it was written by the founders to prohibit an inquisition into the religious beliefs of a nominee.
"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."Filibustered court nominees of President George Bush include:
- Judge Charles Pickering was a former president of the Mississippi Southern Baptist Convention. The United States Congress mocked him for being "too pious". Congress noted that he quoted from the bible and rebuked him for advising prisoners to seek out prison ministries.
- Justice Priscilla Owen sang in a church choir. Congress noted that she showed piety.
- Henry Saad sang in his church choir,
- Carolyn Kuhl organized adult baptism classes.
- William Pryor was warned in June 2003 by the judiciary committee about his deeply held religious beliefs and the fear that he may advocate a pro-life position as do other Catholic knights.
- Leon Holmes, a devout Catholic nominated as a trial judge in Arkansas, was savaged by Senators Diane Feinstein of California, Charles Schumer of New York and Richard Durbin of Illinois because he and his wife wrote an article for a Catholic newspaper, describing Saint Paul's letter to the Ephesians on Christian marriage.