Sunday, May 29, 2005

In Remembrance 2005

"That memory may their deed redeem,
When, like our sires, our sons are gone.
Spirit, that made those heros dare
To die, and leave their children free."
~~Emerson, 1837
Battle Hymn of the Republic is from rmcccentral.com, sequenced by Perfessor Bill Edwards.

Because of the nature of humankind, ever there will be wars. Two of my sons served in the Gulf War. When I was a young wife, my husband served three tours of duty in Vietnam. My father was too young to serve in World War I and too old for World War II. My grandfather tried to enlist in World War I, both in Canada and the U.S., but was rejected. Those two were lucky. My great grandfather was called up for the Boer War while living in Africa. My Virginia forefathers served in the War of Northern Agression, the War of 1812, the American Revolution and on back through the Colonial Wars.

I was reading "Tidbits on Terrorism" at Hyscience and a found a new link to ARGGHHH! I got this above idea from ARGGHHH! , who blogs on "Memorial Day 2005":
"I am the great-grandson of a soldier of the Civil War.
I am the grandson of a soldier of the Great War.
I am the son of a soldier of Korea, and Vietnam.
I was a "Brat".
I was a soldier.
I am still a soldier, albeit in the Retired Reserve.

ARGGHHH! then tells the story, via e-mails from a friend, of Lieutenant Leonard Cowherd, 1st Platoon, C 1/37 Armor, USMA 2003, who was killed yesterday in Iraq. Freedom is a costly goal, yet we who have known its joy cannot live without it. This is a heart-rending story.
"My son-in-law, 2LT Cowherd, was killed this morning in Iraq. He is the armor soldier currently being referred to in the news. Platoon Leader. USMA class of '03.

"My daughter has been staying with us since Leonard deployed. I was with her when the car pulled in the driveway and she was notified by the team from Ft Eustis tonight. Surreal is not the word.

"You can imagine that this is a numbing time for us.

"We expect an onslaught of details and issues tomorrow. I will be at home until such time as we are settled.

"I know you'll ask, 'Is there anything I can do?' I appreciate and I will not hesitate to call should something arise."

No comments: