Monday, July 18, 2005

Matthew Cooper Tells All

Matthew Cooper is offering up new hope for the Left. He finally speaks and tells all he remembers about his "Double Super Secret" telephone talkfest with Karl Rove!
"What I Told The Grand Jury"
By Matthew Cooper
Time Magazine, Monday 25 July 2005 Issue

Matthew Cooper reveals exactly what Karl Rove told him--and what the special counsel zeroed in on.

As for Wilson's wife, I told the grand jury I was certain that Rove never used her name and that, indeed, I did not learn her name until the following week, when I either saw it in Robert Novak's column or Googled her, I can't recall which. Rove did, however, clearly indicate that she worked at the "agency"--by that, I told the grand jury, I inferred that he obviously meant the CIA and not, say, the Environmental Protection Agency. Rove added that she worked on "WMD" (the abbreviation for weapons of mass destruction) issues and that she was responsible for sending Wilson. This was the first time I had heard anything about Wilson's wife.

Rove never once indicated to me that she had any kind of covert status. I told the grand jury something else about my conversation with Rove. Although it's not reflected in my notes or subsequent e-mails, I have a distinct memory of Rove ending the call by saying, "I've already said too much." This could have meant he was worried about being indiscreet, or it could have meant he was late for a meeting or something else. I don't know, but that sign-off has been in my memory for two years.

| | | | | |


No comments: