Sunday, July 10, 2005

Joseph Wilson's Raison d'être

Former Ambassador Wilson Speaks Again, and again, and again ... ad infinitum, about the "oh so horrid" disclosure that his wife worked at CIA. Joseph Wilson, who fulfilled two ambassadorial postings in west Africa said, according to London's News Telegraph story about America's supposedly "most famous spy":
"that since the scandal broke he had been vilified, his reputation tarred and clients discouraged from doing business with him. However, he said, 'the real victims of the cover-up are the Congress, the constitution and, most tragically, the Americans and Iraqis who have paid the ultimate price for Bush's folly'."

"Mr Wilson sat on his deck and described his wife and (Judith) Miller as 'collateral damage' in the 'smear campaign' against him. Mr Rove, he said, should be sacked.

"'Any senior government official who participates in such a campaign is engaged in an outrageous abuse of power,' he said as he drew on his cigar. 'It is very clear that Karl Rove has been part of this, as evidenced by his phone call to Chris Matthews [a TV political show host] in which he asserted that my wife was fair game.

"'I am not a lawyer and I don't know whether anyone should be prosecuted for leaking my wife's name. But I do think that people should be sacked. And those people include Rove."

"'They persisted in going after me, and hence my wife, because I was too effective in my criticism. They wanted to discourage anyone else from following my example.'"
On July 10th, 2004, The Washington Post revealed the truth about Joseph Wilson, and it is not a pretty picture. For starters:
"Former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV, dispatched by the CIA in February 2002 to investigate reports that Iraq sought to reconstitute its nuclear weapons program with uranium from Africa, was specifically recommended for the mission by his wife, a CIA employee, contrary to what he has said publicly." Read the rest of the story.

No comments: