Saturday, July 23, 2005

Holloway, Van der Sloot Fathers

Living in the Moment
The Meridian Star: July 20, 2005
Holloway was curious about the elder van der Sloot's evasion of the media, especially considering his claims of Joran's innocence. Holloway said van der Sloot told him he was "uncomfortable" talking to him and would rather deal with the police. Holloway said he didn't understand why, if Joran was innocent, they would hold back any information they had.

"He has portrayed an image of guilt the entire time," Holloway said.

Despite van der Sloot's dodging questions, Holloway said, he may have hit on something vital near the end of their conversation.

"I told him, `I am a forgiving person. If he is innocent, he needs to profess his innocence to me. If an accident happened on this, I can live with that,'" Holloway said. "And about that time, his eyes watered and his voice quivered and he said, 'I've got to do everything I can to protect my son.'"

Holloway said he ended their conversation by handing van der Sloot three books for his son: a Bible, "The Purpose-Driven Life" by Rick Warren and "Living in the Moment" by Mary Ann Morgan. Holloway said he does not know if Joran received them, but hopes he will benefit from them.

"I just got to feeling they think it is all about them and their son and it's not. It's all about God and how they play a role in life," Holloway said.

No comments: