Saturday, July 16, 2005

Leakgate, Rovegate or Wilsongate

What to call a scandal that's not scandalous? How about Nadagate?

"Where's the Newt", asks John Tierney in today's New York Times, bemoaning the fact that the current Washington non-scandal has no recognizable name. I myself like "The Plame Kerfuffle" or "The Plame Blame Game", but I suppose that each of those is too much of a mouthful to gain much favor. However, recent history demands that it must be suffixed with a "gate". In that case, I would choose "PlamingGate". However, I don't get to decide. Mr. Tierney has come up with "NadaGate".

"For now, though, it looks as if this scandal is about a spy who was not endangered, a whistle-blower who did not blow the whistle and was not smeared, and a White House official who has not been fired for a felony that he did not commit. And so far the only victim is a reporter who did not write a story about it. It would be logical to name it the "Not-a-gate scandal:, but I prefer a bilingual variation. It may someday make a good trivia question: What do you call a scandal that's not scandalous? "Nadagate".

Hat tip to Right Wing Nut House's "What's in a Name?"

| | |



No comments: