Monday, May 23, 2011

What Obama Really Thinks of His Irish Roots

Today, the Obama-run American media gushes over Barack Obama's return to his ancestral home in Moneygall, County Offaly, Ireland, where the President is paying tribute to his ancestor, Falmouth Kearney, who left Ireland in 1850. But those few people who have actually read Obama's biographies know how Barack Obama truly feels about the white blood that courses through his veins.
Only Malcolm X's autobiography seemed to offer something different. His repeated acts of self-creation spoke to me; ... even as I imagined myself following Malcolm's call, one line in the book stayed me. He spoke of a wish he'd once had, the wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged.” (Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama, page 86)

No comments: