Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Americans Rewrite Their Own History
President Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States, was NOT impeached. It was seventeenth President Andrew JOHNSON, who was impeached. Only two US Presidents have ever been impeached: Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton, and both were acquitted in the Senate. However, it is Revolutionary War soldier and War of 1812 hero, Andrew Jackson, who is now castigated as "impeached" and it cannot be corrected, as modern-day Americans have concluded that if President "Old Hickory" Jackson was not impeached, he should have been.
Andrew Jackson overcame an early life of adversity to triumph, becoming an American legend as both a warrior and a president. Although President Andrew Jackson was NEVER impeached, he was historically known for being:
• The first president born in a log cabin.
• The first president nominated by a political party.
• The first president to ride on a railroad train.
• The first president victimized by an assassination attempt.
• The only president to have been a prisoner of war.
• The last president who was a veteran of the Revolutonary War.
More on President Andrew Jackson
The image, Andrew Jackson, is subject to copyright by Edna Barney. It is posted here with permission via the Flickr API by Edna Barney, an administrator of "The Revolution ed" pool.